I am finding it so difficult to motivate myself to eat healthy or to be active right now. Honestly, if it weren't for a friend of mine, I wouldn't make it to the gym at all lately. I think a lot of it has to do with winter. I never seem to have any motivation at all during the winter and the super-short days in Northern Alberta don't help at all.
I gained this week. I know why it happened and it is entirely my fault. I ate everything I shouldn't and skipped more meds than I took. I eat bad and don't drink enough water, I gain. I stop taking my meds and my body stops processing food like it should, I gain. It's a simple enough formula, but I still can't seem to get it right.
So I've decided that I need concrete stuff to focus on. I don't know if I'd call them goals, achievements or what, but they're stuff I want to work towards.
1. I want to be healthy. My family history is standing against me right now. My dad had his first heart attack at age thirty. He had a few more before passing away at the age of forty-five during bypass surgery. Both of his sisters have heart problems - one aunt has had two heart attacks and the other has angina. And from my mom's side, she's prone to skipping beats and may require a pacemaker at some point. I would like to buck the family trend.
2. I want to sit in an airplane seat without crowding the person next to me or needing a seatbelt extender. I can squeeze myself into an airplane seat but holy crap it is uncomfortable and awkward. During the flight, I've got my arms pulled in as much as possible, I try to will my thighs smaller but yeah not happening, I keep the needed items as close as possible (ie. ipod and book) so I don't move around too much, and I do not get up from the seat at all. And because I keep a lot of weight around my midsection, I can't get the seatbelt around me. I used to ask for an extender and I always hated that. I just felt humiliated. So last spring on the first of ten flight segments (covering two round-trip visits), I swiped one. I've ended up using it a lot since then with the move out here, work travel and flying home at Christmas. I can't wait to retire the damn thing and return it to the airline.
3. I would love to be able to walk in to a "normal" store and shop for clothing. There is one store I can shop in locally. I wear a 4-5x or a size 32. Pennington's is the only store to go up to size 32 and their selection at that size bites badly. Addition-Elle tops out at size 28. Cotton Ginny Plus tops out at size 26 - it's been years since I've shopped there. How nice will it be when I can walk in to any store and buy something in a smaller size?
4. I want to be able to physical stuff that I haven't been able to do in years. Stuff like a cartwheel. It's been probably twenty years since I've been able to do one of those. Maybe once I've lost weight I won't be able to do one, but it'll be because I'm old, not because I'm fat. :) I want to be able to ice skate again. Because of my size, I find ice skates to be super uncomfortable. To concentrate that much weight on two blades causes a lot of pain after five minutes.
5. I don't want to hurt any more. My knees hurt. My feet hurt. I always wake up with headaches and muscle aches. I've done a lot of damage to my body over the years. My knees ache when I climb stairs. I broke my foot when I was in high school and excess weight puts a lot of strain on the area. I fully expect arthritis and other problems as a result of the break, but I don't need to exacerbate the situation.
6. I want to go home this August for my cousin's wedding and be different enough that my family will take notice. I'll admit it, I hold some bitterness towards my family. Not my immediate family (my mom and sister are beyond awesome), but towards the cousins and aunts and uncles. I don't have many fond memories of them and what I do remember is them making me feel bad as a child, either through the guise of "helping," or just being childishly malicious. It certainly won't be a complete journey in six months, but I hope I can make enough of a change to make them say wow.
7. I want to wear heels. It may sound silly, but I can't wear heels. I had a guy friend tell me once that I was being silly. I had to explain load-bearing weight limits and how it's not good for me or the shoe to exceed that limit. Like the aforementioned skate, when you put that much weight on a skinny heel and the ball of your foot, it hurts a lot. And it's a lot of strain on the ankle. I wear mid-heels that are super chunky and I still manage to roll my ankle under the strain.
These are only some of the things I want to strive for/accomplish/etc, but they're a start.
I understand the judgmental family thing. I'm not comfortable around mine either. It's like the sesame street song "One of these things is not like the others"
ReplyDeleteAnd you made me laugh with the high heel assessment, men have no idea!
Sending you some of WelshSwan's cwtches! And those are awesome goals/not goals to strive for!
ReplyDeleteHI,I was just looking to see who blogs in Grande Prairie as I just moved here two weeks ago and I blog. Your blog so far is really hitting home with me as I am dealing with weight issues as well. If you want to chat come visit my blog =)
ReplyDeleteI agree that finding motivation in the winter is definitely a struggle.
ReplyDelete